This is class on choosing a PRM solution is in our course on How To Build An Agency-Focused Partner Program. There is a video for this class you can find at learn.partnerprograms.io
Instructor: Sunir Shah, CEO of AppBind and President of the Cloud Software Association
- What justifies using a PRM vs an Affiliate Tracking-Only vs CRM (UTM-based) solution
- Issues and expenses around channel conflict and payouts
- Who we suggest looking into for various budgets/needs
- Pros and cons of each tool we reviewed
- Working with sales: Channel conflict with sales, CRM integration
- Referral links, landing pages, lead registration portals, mobile referral link tracking
- Multiple commission structures for multiple partner programs
- Globalization: language localization, payouts, taxes
- Partner enablement
- Email them
- Integrate with your ESP
- Collateral storage
- Account management
- Account transfer
- Access to partner network. Who are they? How big? What marketing opportunities?
Potential issues if you do not use a third party to track partners
IF YOU DO NOT INVEST ENOUGH CAUTION:
E.g. payouts = overpaying partners because of the lack of tracking
- Highly-complex systems over multiple partner types
- No central attribution system
- Double commission
- Excel user errors
- Being pressured into compensating two partners for the same client
- Pull a report > send to finance >> payouts. No checks/balances and a huge disconnect between
IF YOU OVER-INVEST
Anxiety of your bosses over finances…
Anxiety from your agencies over your team trying to force them into your expensive system…
Crawl, Walk Run Partner Management Stack
- Use your CRM + Sheets + UTMs
- Affiliate tracking – leaddyno, tapfiliate, ambassador
- PRM with referral links, commissions, payouts – PartnerStack, PartnerPortal.io, Allbound, Impact.
- Scaling to enterprise (adding brand/integration and co-selling partners) – Workspan, AppDirect, Crossbeam, Allbound…
** If you are not interested in cookie-based ‘affiliate’ tracking links in your program (there are good reasons why not to bother with these as Sunir mentions), and you are on a tight budget for this program, check out our Airtable PRM – it’s very simple, but has what you need to get the job done:
Questionnaire for your team while interviewing PRM
- Do you handle referral links / affiliates?
- Do you handle payouts?
- Do you handle Global jurisdictions? If so, which do you NOT support?
- Are there any localization options for partners in non-English countries?
- Do you have a mobile app (ios and/or Android)?
- Do you have a CMS – for partner pages and portal?
- Do you provide affiliate landing pages over links?
- Do you support tiered commissions?
- Do you support multiple types of resellers (affiliates only vs resellers)?
- Do you support recurring options for payouts (i.e. lifetime vs 1 year only)?
- Do you have an anchor reseller community/network? If so, which?
- Do you handle refunds to the partners and end customers? And, do you have some level of Affiliate Fraud?
- Does your tool de-conflict ownership of the referral to prevent channel conflict?
- Do you offer your partners visibility in the sales pipeline for their referrals in your UI?
- Do you allow your customers to email their partners as a blast? If so, can you do individual or segmented blasts (i.e. can I email all of my partners in India but not those in the US)?
- Do you support reselling (billing and provisioning, support ticketing)?
- Do you integrate with any support or chat tools (i.e. Zendesk, Intercom…)?
- Do you integrate with Excel, Sheets or Airtable?
- Which CRMs do you integrate with?